Re: Bill 44-16, Retirement-Fossil Fuel Investments-Restrictions
On November 21, the MCREA Board voted to OPPOSE Montgomery County Council Bill 44-16, Retirement-Fossil Fuel Investments-Restrictions. The Bill was introduced to address the issue of climate change by restricting certain investments by the Board of Investment Trustees (pensions) and the Board of Trustees for the Consolidated Retiree Health Benefits Trust.
The MCREA Board will provide testimony opposing the bill. The Council will not discuss this bill until early 2017. MCREA will post updates on this bill as it progresses through the legislative process.
Should you wish to offer your opinion to the County Council about this bill, please send your comments to: Montgomery County Council, 100 Maryland Avenue, Rockville, Maryland 20850 or email County.Council@MontgomeryCountyMD.gov.
Below are links to relevant background materials. Please click on the title to link to the information:
- County Council Memorandum, Bill Introduction
- Public Hearing update, posted by the County Council for Bill 44-16, December 6, 2016
- Testimony of MCREA President Rob Klein, from the public hearing
- Board of Investment Trustees Review [will be posted soon]
- The Washington Post Editorial, 'Forget the divestment diversion, Montgomery County', October 29, 2016
- Bethesda Magazine, Berliner, Navarro Call for County To Divest from Fossil Fuel Companies, October 11, 2016
- 350MoCo, Website of a group supporting Bill 44-16